Monday, April 18, 2022

Mystery actor

[Click for a larger view.]

I think this screeenshot makes it easy — I could be showing this actor in a dimly lit restaurant instead. So this post is less about mystery and more about the surprising moment of recognition. Isn’t that _______? Yes, it’s _______.

Leave your best guess in the comments. I’ll add hints if they’re needed.

*

Here’s a hint: This actor is probably best known for several appearances on a long-running television comedy.

*

The answer is now in the comments.

More mystery actors
? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ?

comments: 14

Anonymous said...

Bart Braverman?

Daughter Number Three said...

Are you saying it's... Wallace Shawn?

Michael Leddy said...

No, not him.

Michael Leddy said...

Oh — “dimly lit restaurant.” Not André Gregory either.

Anonymous said...

dean stockwell?

Geo-B said...

Reni Santoni?

Michael Leddy said...

Not him.

I’ll add a hint, and if no one gets it, I’ll reveal the name at noon.

shallnot said...

Dimmly-lie restaurant and long-running comedy show suggests “Seinfeld”. But, as I’ve never seen a full epsidoe of “Seinfeld”, I wouldn’t know the character or actor portraying him if that is the show.

Michael Leddy said...

George, our comments crossed. Yes, it’s Reni Santoni, who played Poppie, the restaurateur with bad hygiene in Seinfeld. RS appears here as a reporter in the Lou Grant episode “Scoop” (November 8, 1977).

Daughter Number Three said...

Ah, I never watched Seinfeld.

Michael Leddy said...

I think I’ve seen it mostly in reruns.

Anonymous said...

I sort of recognized him. But he's much better known as Dirty Harry's partner:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgRjIEwMYQ4

Kirsten

Michael Leddy said...

Huh! I have to admit that I’ve never seen Dirty Harry.

Joe DiBiase said...

And, as a special bonus, in that same YouTube clip, Dean Wormer from Animal House, as the mayor, makes an appearance at 2:34.