Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Mystery actor

[Click for a larger view.]

“That’s him!” I said. Because I would never say “That’s he!” But by him I didn’t mean the actor. I meant a character, one I’ve seen dozens of times. Only that wasn’t him — meaning the character. It was the actor who played him, an actor whose name I had to look up.

Do you recognize this face? I’m guessing that if you do, you, too, will need to look up the name. Leave your answer in the comments. I’ll drop a hint if needed.

*

One name I’ll rule out: he’s not Bill Macy, the actor who played Walter Findlay on Maude. No, not him.

*

Here’s a hint: this actor may be best known for dancing in a Brooklyn apartment.

*

Oh well: it’s been about four hours. I’ll reveal this actor’s name in the comments.

More mystery actors (Collect them all!)
? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ?

comments: 4

Michael Leddy said...

Those hands and eyebrows belong to Louis Sorin. He appeared in Animal Crackers but is best known, at least to me, from his brief turn as Mr. Manicotti in the Honeymooners episode “Mama Loves Mambo.” Here, at least for now, is that episode. You can see Sorin enter at 14:28, after which he is persuaded to learn to mambo.

This screenshot comes from the Naked City episode “The Fingers of Henri Tourelle” (1961), in which Sorin makes a brief appearance as a presser in a garment factory. He appears in a second 1961 episode, “Ooftus Goofus,” in which he plays Old Man in Store.

Another actor who appeared in “Mama Loves Mambo” is the subject of a previous mystery-actor post.

Anonymous said...

At first I thought it was Howard Sprague from The Andy Griffith Show played by Jack Dodson. But I do remember Sorin now as the owner of the Beaugard painting in Animal Crackers.

Michael Leddy said...

The eyebrows do make him look like Jack Dodson. I haven’t seen Animal Crackers in years, but now I can watch with a new perspective.

Michael Leddy said...

Here’s a video with his Animal Crackers and Honeymooners appearances. I can’t find a list of his credits, but IMDb says he had considerable stage experience. I think you can see that in his facial expressions as he listens to Groucho and Gleason.