Monday, June 1, 2015

Name the actor



He’s playing a bit part here. He went on to play a character known to millions. Can you name him?

First prize: an all-expenses-paid round-trip ticket to 1947, the year this scene was filmed.

Take your best shot in the comments. I‘ll drop hints if needed.

*

11:46 a.m.: This post has had a fair number of visits but only one guess. Here’s a hint: notice that the character is working in a store.

1:12 p.m.: Another hint: he went on to play a character known to millions, both young and old, but especially young.

*

The Crow called it: it’s Will Lee (1908–1982), Sesame Street ’s Mr. Hooper. For comparison purposes:

 

The 1947 Lee is from They Live by Night (dir. Nicholas Ray, 1949). No date for the other photograph.

And for the record, I would never have figured it out without clues.

A related post
Review: They Live by Night

comments: 9

The Crow said...

I first thought "Pepe" Cantinflas, but I don't know...

Michael Leddy said...

The age is close, but it’s someone else.

Unknown said...

Could it be Frank Cady, who played Sam Drucker on those Paul Hennings sitcoms in the '60s?

Michael Leddy said...

No, someone else. I‘ll add another hint.

The Crow said...

Okay, so he was a storekeeper In a long running program aimed at children?

Will Lee (aka Mr. Hooper?) from Sesame Street?

Chris said...

Fred Rogers?

Michael Leddy said...

Yes, it’s Will Lee. I’m away from my Mac, but a picture for comparison is coming soon.

The Crow said...

I needed your second clue. As much as I watched Sesame Street with my daughter all through the early 70s, I wouldn't have thought of Mr. Hooper without the second clue.

This was fun!

Michael Leddy said...

Side by side, it’s so clear that it’s the same person. But I never would have seen it without reading the credits.