Wednesday, October 4, 2017

“The Poet”

This post contains the text of a second short piece of fan fiction, by me: “The Poet,” a Timmy and Lassie story. Featuring a Major American Poet! This story began as what if and quickly turned into why not. Why not?

“The Poet” assumes a working acquaintance with the Lassie world, “outside Calverton,” and with some poetry. You can click on each image for a larger view. Whistling the opening and closing Lassie themes is optional. In its Martin-farm form, Lassie was a major part of my childhood.







 
 

Related reading
All OCA Lassie posts (Pinboard)

And three other pieces of Lassie fan-fiction
“The ’Clipse” : “Bon Appétit!” : “On the Road”

[Sources for the old poet’s words: “The Figure a Poem Makes” (1939), “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening” (1923). For the leopard, lion, and wolf: the first canto of Dante’s Inferno. Suffice to say that the old poet of this story is a figment of someone’s imagination.]

comments: 7

Stefan said...

Bravo, Michael. That was the pleasantest time I've spent reading in a week. Spent doing anything in a week. I love the "mighty barks."

Michael Leddy said...

I’m glad you enjoyed it, Stefan. I have to admit — it’s more fun than I imagined writing this stylized silliness. Be careful in the woods!

Fresca said...

I have made a little prize for you over on my blog (it's a bit rough, but feel free to repost it, if you want).
http://gugeo.blogspot.com/2017/10/for-michael-bob-timmy-lassie.html

Michael Leddy said...

Now linked!

bink said...

I've read these via Fresca's link, and I think they are wonderful Lassie stories. You've really captured the feel of the old TV show!

Only thing, the format you have chosen to present them in is very difficult to follow. On my computer, the pages show up very tiny and it's hard to click on them in the correct order, or without losing your place (the page numbers don't read). Please write more, and please consider sharing them in a more reader friendly format.

Michael Leddy said...

Thanks for your appreciative words, bink. There should be another story arriving, later this month. A famous chef will visit (but I still have to write it, and that’s all I can say).

Perhaps I should just post these stories as text. I like the idea of their being “here,” and not as files to download. Each page is numbered, and the file names for the images also have the page numbers. I’m not sure why they’re not showing up.

What do you think about the idea of large images, one after another? I thought that small would be more user-friendly, but maybe not. I’ll redo this post. Can you tell me what you think?

Bink said...

This is SO much easier to read! Thank you! I definitely think this is way to go for posting your delightful stories.