Thursday, February 28, 2019

Mystery actor


[Click for a larger view.]

Do you recognize the elevator operator? Leave your best or second-best guess in the comments. I’ll drop a hint if necessary.

*

10:10 a.m.: Now ID’d in the comments.

More mystery actors (Collect them all!)
? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ?

[Garner’s Modern English Usage notes that “support for actress seems to be eroding.” I’ll use actor.]

comments: 10

shallnot said...

I'll venture Lucille Ball as a guess. --Steven

Michael Leddy said...

Not Ms. Ball.

Geo-B said...

There's a woman there who looks like Noel Neill, but I can't figure how you've identified which person is the elevator operator.

Michael Leddy said...

That’s Noel Neill, in a brief uncredited speaking role in The Big Clock (dir. John Farrow, 1948). I guess I had the advantage of seeing the movie, in which she’s calling out floors and opening and closing doors as a boor tries to flirt. She’s standing where an operator would stand, in front, right to the side of the door, and she has some sort of company logo on her sleeve.

Geo-B said...

I was born in the tail end of the forties, so Adventures of Superman was very instrumental to my development.

Michael Leddy said...

I absorbed hours of the show in my ’60s kidhood. I remember at one point, really young, thinking that the crooks on the show were not actors but real crooks who had been hired to play crooks. It was all so realistic. :)

Elaine Fine said...

I never paid attention to her actual name before. She will always be Lois Lane to me.

Michael Leddy said...

Me too. She is at her typewriter even now.

Elaine said...

No clue. My first guess was Susan Hayward (unlikely) and second guess was Lucille Ball (but I see that is wrong.)

Michael Leddy said...

But there is a resemblance. I didn’t even see it before Steven’s comment.