Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Gillian Welch, Pessoa reader

Gillian Welch, talking with The New York Times:

“About a month ago, my eye was drawn to a book that has sat mostly unread on my shelf for some time, The Book of Disquiet by Fernando Pessoa. I picked it up and randomly read a passage of such beautiful poignancy, such exquisite human precision, that the wonderment of creative expression flooded me. I told no one about it, but kept it to myself, and the impulse to write, the need to grapple with this moment has returned to me and grown from that little seed.”
Thanks to Stefan Hagemann for pointing me to this passage. Stefan guest-wrote an OCA post that still pulls in readers, How to answer a professor.

Related reading
All OCA Pessoa posts (Pinboard)

comments: 1

Chris said...

I noticed that in the article (I'm a bit of a Gillian Welch fan and was just listening to one of her new CDs this morning). I wonder if it will lead to a run on Pessoa?