Monday, April 13, 2020

Mystery actors


[Click for a larger view.]

I think that two of the three are easy. Can you name them all? Leave your answers in the comments. I’ll drop hints if I can think of good ones.

*

All three names are now in the comments.

More mystery actors (Collect them all)
? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ? : ?

comments: 12

shallnot said...

The one to the left is dead easy. I must admit for half-a-second I almost said Claude Akins. It should be easy to to come up with a “triplets” separated at birth post with this guy, Claude Akins, and Joe Don Baker.

The fellow to the right almost had me convinced he’s John Cassavetes. But I remember J. C. as having a sharper nose and less of a widow’s peak hairline.

Steven

Michael Leddy said...

But what’s your I.D. for the guy on the left?

The Crow said...

Bronson, Crawford, Stewart. (He was younger and slightly heavier?).

Michael Leddy said...

Charles Bronson, check, Broderick Crawford, check. But the guy on the right is someone else. I'll drop a hint: math and windmills.

shallnot said...

Again, Charles Bronson was fairly easy to get but I didn’t want to spoil others’ fun by mentioning him as my only guess.

I immediately had the name Broderick Crawford come to mind but it struck me that while I know the name I never really recall ever seen his face. When did a search the images that came up were of him later in life and I couldn’t quite connect those images to this one.

As for the clues maths and windmills. I can’t summon up a name for the actor from these but I expect, if they relate to the time period of the ‘50s and ealry ‘60s, they’d have to be allusions to “The Blackboard Jungle” and perhaps “The Man of La Mancha”. Although wasn't “The Windmills of Your Mind” a song from the original "Thomas Crown Affair”?

Michael Leddy said...

The third actor is Richard Kiley. Math: Josh Edwards, the math teacher in The Blackboard Jungle. Windmills: Don Quixote in the Broadway musical Man of La Mancha. He, Bronson (uncredited), and Crawford appear as longshoremen in The Mob (dir. Robert Parrish, 1951).

Michael Leddy said...

To me, the difficult one here is Bronson. To my eye, he looks like Billy Halop. But Kiley to me was easy, maybe from having The Blackboard Jungle in my head. This movie (now on the Criterion Channel) is worth watching: Crawford here has gone undercover, and his switch from suave police detective to ex-con longshoreman is some fine acting.

Michael Leddy said...

Steven, I wrote the comment with Kiley’s name before I saw your last comment (as you might guess from the times). Anyway, I’m glad you got another answer in. I’m happy the clues worked.

Yes, the song is from that movie.

Slywy said...

Charles Bronson — easy peasy. Broderick Crawford — a little tougher because I'm not as familiar with him but he's recognizable. The third man? I should have looked longer. I love Richard Kiley, but didn't recognize him, I think because I've rarely seen him with hair. :) I saw him in Man of La Mancha in Toronto in the late 1970s. According to an interview he did with a Toronto paper, he used to do voice exercises for hours a day. Swoon. I should see if I can find it on newspapers.com. Or maybe I imagined it.

Michael Leddy said...

As usual with these, my difficult is someone else’s easy. Though I can see now that CB looks a lot like his character in The Great Escape.

How great to have seen Richard Kiley on stage in that role.

zzi said...

Check out "Crime Wave" post WWII Los Angeles.

Michael Leddy said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I think I just missed it on TCM.