Thursday, April 9, 2020

Proof reading

McKean’s law at work in a letter to a newspaper:

I continue to be amazed and amused at the frequency of misspellings, improper punctuation, incorrect use of words and other proof reading errors that seem to plague our print media.
Or as I used to say on pages that went out with writing assignments:
Use the computer to check spelling, but don't trust it to proof read for you. Please, don't be car less.

comments: 4

Zhoen said...

I've found with short messages, autocorrect will change my correct spelling to something else at times. It keeps me from too many htes, and thnes, but more really inhuman errors. I've seen such errors get to published books. And I think they may be hard to spot specifically because they are the kinds of mistakes humans generally don't make.

Or maybe our writing styles and grammars are about to profoundly change.

Michael Leddy said...

Exactly. What made me turn autocorrection off was discovering bizarre, arbitrary changes long after I was done typing.

Elaine said...

Even worse are the misplaced modifiers and lack of parallelism. Those drive me up the wall. Just today saw a comment on FBk about "shear numbers" (comparing Canada and the US.). I guess we do have more sheep...

Michael Leddy said...

Another example of why you can’t trust spellcheck.