Monday, April 13, 2020

Mysterious boxes

From the New York Times: Metropolitan Diary:

I was walking to the corner store to pick up a soda when I noticed a postal worker unlocking one of those olive-colored mailboxes that have always been a mystery to me.
And then the mystery deepens.

By the way, they’re called relay boxes. I’ve seen an opened one just once or twice.

comments: 5

Geo-B said...

Very handy, so you don't have to carry everything on your route. Long time ago, in another century, I was letter carrier.

Michael Leddy said...

I guess not so mysterious to you, eh?

Geo-B said...

One day, delivering the mail, I was stung by a bee and felt woozy and thought I just have to sit down a moment, which I did in one, and somebody called the post master and said, hey, your guy is taking a nap in the mail box.

Fresca said...

I might have guessed mail carriers kept sardines for their lunches in those green boxes... (Hm. Maybe they did that too.)

Michael Leddy said...

George, that sounds like a cartoon in the making.

Fresca, the idea of small cans in a big can is kinda irresistible, esp. if the big can opens with a giant-sized traditional sardine-tin key.