Saturday, July 20, 2024

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Today’s Newsday  Saturday Stumper is by Matthew Sewell. It’s quite a crossword. I started with 29-D, five letters, “Tutta la ____ (till dawn),” which yielded 40-A, four letters, “Something solemnized.” And then a fingerhold here, a toehold there. I didn't think I’d ever get it all, until I did.

Some clue-and-answer pairs of note:

1-A, four letters, “No pro bono battler.” One would think law, or at least I would.

2-D, four letters, “Mythical fire starter.” Clever.

5-A, four letters, “Lee alternative.” One would think LEVI, or at least I would.

14-D, six letters, “Pop icon who lived across the street from Neil Diamond.” I will have to take your word for it.

16-A, four letters, “Pop icon with an Our Way podcast.” Really out of the way. Sorry, 16-A.

20-A, fourteen letters, “Defiant non-apology.” Great answer, at least for a crossword, though perhaps not in real life.

23-A, six letters, “Part of a peak performance.” One would think ASCENT, or at least I would, complete with fingerholds and toeholds.

24-A, seven letters, “At-work gamer’s quick-change shortcut.” I remember reading about it, many years ago.

24-D, five letters, “Set off.” Ambiguity alert.

26-D, ten letters, “Fusion favorite with salmon-topped slices.” See 14-D.

30-D, five letters, “Whom Tiger tied for PGA Tour wins in 2019.” I think the conventions of crosswords require Woods in this clue.

47-D, six letters, “Ladylike?” Really clever. I was thinking something to do with ladybugs.

53-A, three letters, “Sound made by shakers.” One would think TSK, or at least I would, shaking my head.

54-A, fourteen letters, “Online source request.” A novel answer.

56-D, four letters, “Small torch bearer.” Stumpers gonna stump.

My favorite in this puzzle: 60-A, ten letters, “Desirable character trait.”

No spoilers; the answers are in the comments.

comments: 1

Michael Leddy said...

NOTTE. RITE. MERC. EROS. BRAD.

SEDAKA. ANKA. ISAIDWHATISAID.

YODELS. BOSSKEY. (Its history.)

BEGUN. SUSHIPIZZA. (Better: SUSHI“PIZZA.”)

SNEAD. TITLED. BRR. CITATIONNEEDED.

DIME. LEGIBILITY.