Saturday, July 27, 2024

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Today’s Newsday  Saturday Stumper is by Lester Ruff. In other words, it’s an easier Stumper from the puzzle’s editor Stan Newman. Easier, yes, and easier still if you don’t just glance at and misread the opening clue in the low-resolution printout. For 1-A, nine letters, the clue is “Metaphor for miscreants,” not “Metaphor for increments.” I thought BABYSTEPS would make a nice answer there. I think most solvers will find the southeast corner the toughest section of the puzzle. Seeing the answer for 60-A, nine letters, “Metaphor for mental mastery,” helped me a lot there.

Some clue-and-answer pairs of note:

1-D, four letters, “South Carolinian soprano role.” A giveaway, or is that just me?

10-A, five letters, “Dickensian dismissal.” And a word worth reviving, if only for comic purposes.

20-A, five letters, “Where many views are seen.” Nicely misdirective.

22-D, seven letters, “He’s got an impeccable image.” And an interesting life story.

32-A, four letters, “Name on the cover of Favorite Haunts cartoons.” Wonderful.

35-A, fifteen letters, “Only Bond villain on AFI’s Villains list.” Not difficult to figure out, but seeing the full name might be enlightening.

39-A, six letters, “Not readily bent.” Funny.

43-D, six letters, “Of certain scales and services.” A great clue.

3-D, three letters, “Erstwhile RFK” — and there the online print version of the puzzle cuts off the clue. I knew I had the answer, but I had no idea what the clue is asking for. Now I have the clue: “Erstwhile RFK Stadium pro.”

58-A, nine letters, “First-founded US capital.” I did not see this answer coming.

My favorite in this puzzle: 12-D, ten letters, “Loonie’s shape.” The twelve and ten add value here.

No spoilers; the answers are in the comments.

comments: 4

Michael Leddy said...

BADAPPLES. STEELTRAP. BESS. PSHAW. OPEDS.

MRCLEAN. (First name: Veritably.) CHAS. (Addams.)

AURICGOLDFINGER. (Auric: “of, relating to, or derived from gold.”) ORNERY. POSTAL.

NAT. SANTAFENM. HENDECAGON (An eleven-sided figure.)

Michael Leddy said...

Yikes — I saw a comment about Chas. Addams for about a second, before somehow accidentally deleting it along with a spam comment about mail-order razors. Sorry.

joecab said...

Oh that was just me. I was just saying I own that very same book with an original drawing of Morticia in it that he drew for my big brother.

Michael Leddy said...

Oh my.

Chas. Addams was one of the first cartoonists whose work I enjoyed. I remember the ski tracks going around a tree, one on each side.