Sunday, July 21, 2024

Joe Biden has dropped out

“It has been the greatest honor of my life to serve as your President. And while it has been my intention to seek reelection, I believe it is in the best interest of my party and the country for me to stand down and to focus solely on fulfilling my duties as President for the remainder of my term.”

The New York Times has the story (gift link).

I think it’s the right choice. But still I have tears in my eyes. Age, dammit.

comments: 4

Fresca said...

Thanks for the live link – – I wanted to read that article, having read everything else I could find! And here I say I don’t follow politics, but this is really some thing. I agree with you – – I think it’s the right thing – – but tragically so

Michael Leddy said...

It makes me think of something Philip Larkin (I know, ugh) mentions in an interview about receiving a letter from a library patron who can no longer see well enough to read. Utterly different circumstances, but age, dammit.

Sean Crawford said...

From Canada, I've liked Biden ever since he questioned having a big tax cut (for the rich not-in-the-service people) during war-time.

I was touched by a one hour interview/conversation on web TV of Joe and long haired "shock jock" Howard Stern. Both men came off as sincere. Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz45sMb4js8

Can Harris win, being "only a female?" I remember a despairing person of colour being answered after the 2016 vote by his mid-west neighbours, "Ya, but we couldn't vote for Hillary." In the NYT article is the line "...they (anti-abortionists) turned out their voters against Hillary even when they didn't like Trump."

In contrast to Hillary, Harris is not seen as uppity, or deploring people, or self-appointed to go gunning her engine for the presidency. Harris has had a humble three and a half years, and is now appointed by others, so I think for many folks she would pass the "go for a beer with" test.

Michael Leddy said...

I think the stakes with reproductive freedom will be compelling for at least some Republicans, if they don’t want a country with a national ban and no exceptions.

Another thought: Harris was a prosecutor, which makes an interesting contrast to the other party’s nominee.