Wednesday, July 24, 2024

John Mayall (1933–2024)

The New York Times has an obituary (gift link).

I wanted to find something with Mayall playing piano, solo. I got close: here’s “Bear Wires,” with Bob Hite of Canned Heat.

Later in the day: I found what I was looking for: “Milkman Strut.” That’s a door closing at the start. Explanation: a milkman’s arrival had interrupted recording.

[From the Times obituary: “In 1969, after recording the album Blues From Laurel Canyon and befriending members of the American blues band Canned Heat, Mr. Mayall moved to the Los Angeles area, where he lived for the rest of his life.”]

comments: 4

Anonymous said...

so sad to hear this! i saw him in fort worth at caravan of dreams: less than 100 people.

it would have been over 20 years ago.

kirsten

Michael Leddy said...

You’re fortunate to have heard him.

Joe DiBiase said...

I saw John Mayall at Harper's Ferry in Allston, MA, probably around 1988-89. Not far from the El Phoenix Room on Commonwealth Ave., where, I believe you and I had a meal once, Michael.

Walter Trout was the guitarist for Mayall at the time. I saw Walter Trout last year with the same group of friends that I saw Mayall in '88-89.

Michael Leddy said...

Wow — so much music came through (still comes through?) Allston, aka Rock City.

Walter Trout is another Mayall–Canned Heat connection, along with Harvey Mandel and Larry Taylor, and I’m not sure who else.

The El Phoenix Room! I loved that place. I hope our food was good. Something I suspected when I read Infinite Jest: The Unexamined Life (a bar) might be a stand-in for the El Phoenix. David Foster Wallace spent time in Granada House (halfway house, twelve-step program), then on Washington Street. As you may already know, the novel is set in Allston-Brighton, with a place called Enfield dropped onto the map.