Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Ruth Martin, stickler

From the Lassie episode “The Ring” (January 19, 1958). Ruth Martin (Cloris Leachman) has invited Uncle Petrie (George Chandler) to come work on the farm. Timmy (Jon Provost) takes an instant dislike to the newcomer. Ruth and Paul Martin (John Sheppod) are arguing:

“Who called Uncle Petrie in the first place? Not me.”

“Fine grammar for a college graduate – ‘not me.’”

“Don't change the subject.”
The original Ruth Martin is not an especially likable character. She’s snippy, fretful, and prone to drama. And she’s always correcting pronouns. Ruth Two (June Lockhart) was a much steadier sort. Impossible to imagine Ruth One keeping her wits about her when threatened by a mountain lion. Ruth Two, too, corrects pronouns, but only those spoken by her son Timmy.

Related reading
All OCA Lassie posts (Pinboard)

[I watch Lassie when I fold laundry. Come at me.]

comments: 0