Thursday, July 18, 2024

Bob Newhart (1929–2024)

The New York Times has an obituary. From a 2019 interview with the Times (both gift links):

Do you ever think about death?

I think I know what’s on the other side, but I’m not sure. Maybe it just ends. Some people think you come back. Maybe I’ll come back as Shelley Berman and be pissed off at myself.

What do you think happens on the other side?

I think if you lived a good life, some people say it is rapture. You spend the rest of your life in a state of rapture. That’d be nice. What I’m actually hoping is there’s the Pearly Gates and God’s there and he says to me, “What did you do in life?” And I say, “I was a stand-up comedian.” And he says: “Get in that real short line over there.”
[Context: Shelley Berman wrongly accused Newhart of stealing the use of a telephone in stand-up comedy from him.]

4 comments:

  1. Something I often think of, (as I guess others do) but have never said to you until today is: Thank you for the gift link to the NY Times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You’re welcome, Sean. I’m happy to share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He always made me laugh. And, the final episode of "Newhart" may be the most creative sitcom episode ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. His comment about that in the NYT interview is priceless.

    ReplyDelete

Play fair. Keep it clean. No potshots and no derailing. Thanks.

I moderate to keep out spam. Comments won’t appear at once, but they don’t disappear, so there’s no need to post a comment more than once.