Thursday, February 7, 2019

More kids ’n’ coffee

The term “kid’s coffee” in today’s xkcd made me remember this bit of dialogue. From River of No Return (dir. Otto Preminger, 1954), an exchange between father Matt Calder (Robert Mitchum) and son Mark (Tommy Rettig):

“Well, there it is: that’s Council City. What do you want when we get there?”

“A cup of coffee. A whole cup of coffee for myself!”

“You’ve got it!”
Related posts
coffee (A repurposed Ovaltine ad) : Kids ’n’ coffee (Nancy and Sluggo)

comments: 2

The Crow said...

The only way my mother could get us kids to take the cod liver oil and nasty liquid vitamins when we we very ill one winter was the promise of a mug of hot sweet coffee and milk if we swallowed all the meds straight down.

Coffee was heavy on the milk and honey, light on the coffee, but it was the magic elixir that got us through that week of disgusting medicines! (Did I tell you this story before? If so, sorry for the repetition.)

Michael Leddy said...

Coffee, if it’s sweet, would be an excellent bribe for children. I don’t think you’ve told me this story before, but if you have, so what? :) I joked to a friend that I need to create a database of what stories I’ve told to whom.