Saturday, February 23, 2019

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Today’s Newsday Saturday Stumper, by Matthew Sewell, has some fine pairs of clues and answers. Or at least fine by me:

31-Across, nine letters, “Dove.” You were thinking of birds, perhaps?

56-Across, ten letters, “They have defensive ends.”

11-Down, ten letters, “Bridge beam.” Thank you, Vertigo, for that answer.

13-Down, five letters, “Minor key.”

No spoilers: the answers are in the comments.

comments: 6

Michael Leddy said...

PLUMMETED. APOLOGISTS. CANTILEVER. ISLET.

In Hitchcock’s Vertigo, Midge (a commercial artist) talks to Scottie about the brassiere she’s drawing: “It's brand new. Revolutionary uplift. No shoulder straps, no back straps, but does everything a brassiere should do. It works on the principle of the cantilever bridge.”

shallnot said...

PLUMMETED: I'm going to call foul on this one. Diving implies controlled descent; plummeting does not.

Your you were thinking birds gave me the idea tat it could be BEAUTY BAR which I believe is what Dove brands itself as.

Steven

Michael Leddy said...

I have to agree. Dive suggests deliberate action; plummet does not. But both Merriam-Webster and Rodale’s Synonym Finder give dive as a synonym of plummet.

BEAUTYBAR would be a great answer for “Dove.” No soap, beauty bar!

Michael Leddy said...

The words kept nagging me, so I checked the OED. One definition of dive: “Aviation. To descend or fall precipitously with increasing momentum.” And one of plummet: “To drop or fall rapidly or precipitously; to plunge down.” But I still agree that on sight the two words are not convincingly synonymous. I was so taken with thinking that there must be a nine-letter word for pigeon that I didn’t think enough about whether PLUMMETED really fits.

Elaine said...

Quote from Shortz: It's a clu, not a definition.

Michael Leddy said...

Yes, but I think “dropped” or “fell” would be a truer clue. But not as sneaky.

She dove into the pool. She plummeted into the pool. Pretty dramatic difference.