Wednesday, September 15, 2021

The Unfaithful : Angels Flight

The Unfaithful (dir. Vincent Sherman, 1947) has something for everyone, including a ride on the Angels Flight Railway.

[“Mrs. Tanner” (Marta Mitrovich), about to board. A round trip or two rides: 5¢. Book of ten: 25¢. Book of 30 (?): 50¢. Click any image for a larger view.]

[Down we go.]

[Talk about vertiginous. No wonder almost everyone’s looking straight ahead or at a newspaper.]

The Angels Flight website lists the railway’s appearances in film and on TV.

Here, from an earlier blog post, is a glimpse of Angels Flight in Act of Violence (dir. Fred Zinnemann, 1949).

Must. Get. To. Los. Angeles. Again. But not now.

comments: 2

Anonymous said...

That was not running the last time I was in LA in the mid 1980s. I did visit the Max Factor museum (a separate museum then) and one of the original movie studios. Both have sadly been absorbed into bigger things.

But I did buy a 1950's motorcycle jacket at a fantastic shop which is also no more. The owner sold all sorts of leather jackets including one from Bruce Lee.

Grauman's Chinese Theatre even had one of those machines that made statues out of plastic: I ended up with Wolfman.

LA was my dream place to live but eh, not so much anymore!!!

Kirsten

ps I think I'm starting to sound like my parents!

Michael Leddy said...

Max Factor had a museum?! I’ve been to the Getty (incredible), the Hammer, and LACMA.

Our daughter once took us to a great vintage clothing store in Burbank. I don’t recall leather jackets, but I tried on an overcoat (1940s, I would guess) and was astonished by the sheer weight — like a suit of armor. The sport jackets all looked like they once belonged to Paul Drake.

I love Los Angeles, and I like the idea of living in LA, but I don’t think I could get anything done. Lotusland, for sure.