Thursday, September 23, 2021

Candy stores

New York City Candy Stores: A Look Back: a short narrative with photographs, at YouTube.

Revery: I remember Mary’s for cap guns, comic books, and water pistols. There was also at least one plastic bust of a composer (Beethoven?) for sale. Picholz’s had a full-fledged soda fountain and a long display of magazines. I think we bought Coke syrup there (for school-day stomach jitters). A third Brooklyn candy store, nameless to me, was a source for charlotte russe. A fourth, also nameless, was a source for pumpkin seeds.

Here, courtesy of the New York City Municipal Archives, is Picholz’s location, 4417 New Utrecht Avenue, circa 1939–1941, then a candy store owned by L. Stoppick. His name is on the awning. A great location, right by the stairs up to the El. Notice the bakery next door offering charolotte russe: 5¢.

[Click for a much larger store.]

L. Stoppick was at this location in 1922.

[The Retail Tobacconist, February 9, 1922.]

I suspect that “fine smoke shop” was a euphemism for “candy store.”

Since at least 2012, 4417 has been home to an Ecuadorian restaurant, Sol de Quito.

[The name Picholz was spoken, never written. I was guessing, but it turns out that I guessed correctly.]

comments: 6

Anonymous said...

excellent research!

1965 brooklyn phone book has "pinkas picholz stationery"

Michael Leddy said...

Fantastic! And I guessed right about the spelling.

Joe DiBiase said...

I hadn't thought about Coke syrup for years. We always had a bottle on hand for jittery stomachs. I'm not sure if it actually has any medicinal benefit, or if it was just a placebo. In any case, it seemed to do the trick.

Michael Leddy said...

Cola syrup is still sold for that use, but how it works — I have no idea. (Another rabbit hole.)

P.S.: Hello, Joe!

Joe DiBiase said...

Hello, Michael. I'm enjoying the blog!

Michael Leddy said...

As am I. : )