Saturday, September 11, 2021

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Today’s Newsday  Saturday Stumper, by Matthew Sewell, is yet another week’s worth of evidence, the sixth, that the Stumper is back. It’s a good puzzle, filled with smart clues and novel answers. The clue that somehow, I don’t know how, opened up the puzzle for me: 62-A, ten letters, “International Emmy category.”

Some clue-and-answer pairs I especially liked:

13-A, ten letters, “Fancy low-level furnishing.” I was wondering if it had something to do with a conversation pit. But of course not.

21-D, four letters, “Audio equipment.” GEAR?

22-A, three letters, “British Columbia’s 1000-year-old Big Lonely Doug.” The answer is guessable, but the clue adds value.

23-A, seven letters, “Secured a bill, perhaps.” Clever.

33-D, four letters, “Like some stand-out characters.” The clue works in a couple of ways.

42-A, nine letters, “Sent sideways.” I was thinking boxing, or something to do with pool. No.

53-D, four letters, “Enhance unnecessarily.” Like, how often do we see this word?

55-D, four letters, “Suited to following.” Pretty Stumpery.

59-A, ten letters, “Very early arthropods.” I don’t know what arthropods are, but I know my Clark Coolidge.

And my favorite: 10-D, eleven letters, “Group hitting the bottom of the barrel.”

No spoilers; the answers are in the comments.

comments: 6

Michael Leddy said...

TELENOVELA. PERSIANRUG. EARS. FIR. (See here.)

STAPLED. BOLD. (Letters or personalities.)

LATERALED. GILD. ATEE.

TRILOBITES. (“Ounce code orange / a / the / ohm / trilobite triolbites”)

CALYPSOBAND. (For instance, the Esso Trinidad Steel Band, on an LP produced by Van Dyke Parks.)

joecab said...

So many near misses from me that had at least a checked letter or two that ended up being wrong:
US employer of 1000+ canines - ADA (I didn't really think about that low number)
Tailor's activity - ALTERING
Edge, in sports headlines - not LIP or TIP apparently
Last word of Twain's "Eve's Diary" - AMEN
Sources of support - ARMS

Ugh, I made this harder for me than I had to.

Michael Leddy said...

My first guesses were FBI for the canines. I also had ALTERING and AMEN early on. ESTD helped me see AYES straight off. Good puzzle, no?

Michael Leddy said...

Oops — FBI and DEA.

joecab said...

Great puzzle. This felt really fresh.(And thanks for reminding me I never did say how I liked it.)

Michael Leddy said...

I have to remember that sometimes too.