Thursday, September 30, 2021

Block that metaphor

On CNN, a healthcare worker who refuses to get vaccinated for COVID-19 speaks:

“I believe that the fabric of our truly free, civilized society is at a precipice.”
Related reading
All OCA metaphor posts (Pinboard)

comments: 7

Anonymous said...

I sincerely wonder any more if people actually understand what words mean! "Society is at a precipice"! I would argue that the whole debt ceiling issue is more of society at a precipice than vaccinations.

The NYT article today on past required vaccinations should be required reading for all of the hold-outs.I did not know about George Washington and smallpox vaccinations.

I loved this quote in this article: https://theconversation.com/half-of-unvaccinated-workers-say-theyd-rather-quit-than-get-a-shot-but-real-world-data-suggest-few-are-following-through-168447

"But while it is easy and cost-free to tell a pollster you’ll quit your job, actually doing so when it means losing a paycheck you and your family may depend upon is another matter. " and this one"In other words, vaccine mandates are unlikely to result in a wave of resignations – but they are likely to lead to a boost in vaccination rates."

Kirsten

Michael Leddy said...

I suspect that sentence was a matter of someone parroting right-wing cable words to try to sound thoughtful.

I knew (vaguely) about Washington and vaccinaiton. I think also about the smallpox outbreak in NYC in 1947 and what might have happened had present attitudes been more widespread then.

Fresca said...

I'd like to see Kafka illustrate that metaphor.

Michael Leddy said...

Or Glen Baxter? A little doily hanging over a cliff edge?

Fresca said...

Glen Baxter! Perfect. Or, might Michael Leddy be up for drawing a doily on a cliff?

Michael Leddy said...

I tried twice last night. Not good enough. Maybe I’ll try again.

Fabric folds, as R. Crumb, I think, points out somewhere, are really hard to draw well.

Michael Leddy said...

To Unknown:

My point in making this post was to highlight an absurd mixed metaphor. I do think it’s a metaphor from someone trying to sound sophisticated by parroting right-wing talking points. And I do dread to think what might have happened if vaccination against smallpox in NYC in 1947 had been met with the attitudes the COVID-19 vaccines are meeting with today.

I live in a county in which one in seven people have been infected, and in which one in 425 have died. So I’m not interested in engaging you on the topic of vaccination. Take it elsewhere.