Thursday, September 23, 2021

Tinta Azul

I know that one is never supposed to buy wine for the label, especially not a label with a picture of a critter. But Tinta Azul I had to buy for its label. Look: tile work. And the name means “blue ink.”

Tinta Azul is a red blend from Portugal. It has a dark, inky color. But I’d describe the taste as “wet.” It’s nearly tasteless. But the label is just fine.

[My dad was a tile man, floors and walls: Leddy Ceramic Tile.]

comments: 2

Chris said...

I always buy wine based on the label art (and price); it's the easiest way to get past the whole intimidating mystique of wine-buying. So far I haven't been disappointed.

"Tinto" is the normal Spanish and Portuguese adjective for "red" wine, but the noun "tinta" does mean "ink."

Michael Leddy said...

Thanks for “tinto,” which I didn’t know. We buy a lot of South American wine, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen “tinto” on a label. It’s always Malbec or Tempranillo, some varietal.

We do go for labels, even if doing so is a no-no. La Posta, from Argentina, has my favorites. But their wines are too expensive for regular use, because we also buy for price. : )