Saturday, August 31, 2024

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Today’s Newsday  Saturday Stumper is by the puzzle’s editor, Stan Newman. Its distinctive feature: five (count ’em, five) fifteen-letter answers. Yow!

Some clue-and-answer pairs of note, including those five:

2-D, fifteen letters, “Graze, say.” Hilarious, at least to me.

3-D, five letters, “King’s claim to musical fame.” I like that.

6-D, three letters, “Tall character in Son of Godzilla.” Quite a stretch.

11-D, fifteen letters, “‘Finally...’” I imagine a meeting going on and on. And on.

12-D, six letters, “Becomes a waiter, with ‘up.’” Didn’t fool me.

16-A, fifteen letters, “Kicks back, as boxes.” The first two words misdirect nicely.

21-A, four letters, “Capital consonants resembling two vowels.” I got it, but I need an explanation.

22-A, five letters, “Where rock bands hang out.” See 12-D.

26-A, five letters, “Multination org. named for its first five members (its ’23 summit included da Silva, Lavrov, Modi, Xi, and the ANC leader).” I suspect that the prolix clue is an acknowledgement that most solvers will have no idea what the answer is.

31-A, fifteen letters, “PVC product.” I didn’t see this answer coming.

34-D, eight letters, “Candide’s mentor.” I hadn’t thought of him in years.

49-A, fifteen letters, “‘Old Ironsides’ is the Army’s oldest.” Note: Army.

My favorite in this puzzle: 27-A, five letters, “Possible response to ‘Don’t know.’” Coming after 26-A, it’s appropriate.

No spoilers; the answers are in the comments.

comments: 5

Michael Leddy said...

EATLIKEANANIMAL. BLUES. ESS. ANDONELASTTHING. QUEUES.

RETURNSTOSENDER. PHIS. AGATE. BRICS. TRANSPARENTTAPE.

PANGLOSS. ARMOREDDIVISION. GUESS.

Anonymous said...

Φ looks like an I superimposed on an O.

Anonymous said...

A capital phi looks like an iota dropped on top of an omicron. I think that's what the clue was getting at.

Heber Taylor said...

Strange clue, but a capital phi looks like an omicron dropped on top of an iota.

Michael Leddy said...

Thanks, everyone, for clarifying. I know the Greek alphabet, but I was stuck trying to figure out something having to do with state or national capitals.