Tuesday, August 6, 2024

It’s Tim Walz

From The Guardian: “Kamala Harris names Tim Walz, the Minnesota governor, as running mate.”

An excellent choice, making a ticket very much like Obama–Biden in affect.

Our household has been having fun reading the BigDadEnergy stuff at Threads.

comments: 4

Fresca said...

Our Man in Minnesota. I think this choice sets a good vibe.

Michael Leddy said...

So heartening to think about running mates who are relatively youthful and project optimism, not anger and hatred. I am psyched.

Anonymous said...

Call me crazy, but I’d have gone with “ in effect,” with effect’s noun sense of “result, outcome,” and “in effect” meaning “in practice”’or “operational.” In typical usage (with some exceptions) effect is more often a noun and affect, a verb.

Grammar aside, I like this choice.

Michael Leddy said...

“In effect” would have a different (also plausible) meaning. But I was going for affect, which is, yes, more common as a verb.. The OED: “the outward display of emotion or mood, as manifested by facial expression, posture, gestures, tone of voice, etc.” I was thinking of the contrast between Walz and Harris as similar to the contrast between Biden and Obama, with each v p candidate presenting as older, less polished, folksier.