Saturday, August 10, 2024

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Whenever I see Matthew Sewell’s name on a Newsday  Saturday Stumper, I know I am likely in for it, “it” being perhaps forty-five minutes or an hour of struggle. And so it was this week.

Some clue-and-answer pairs of note:

1-A and 62-A, four letters each, “Without a hem?” I thought the first of these had to be ASIS.

1-D, six letters, “Word from the Greek for ‘panting.’” My starting point.

10-D, eight letters, “What you can fix it with.” I’ve seen this trick before.

11-D, eight letters, “What’s put in infusers.” But not this trick.

16-A, ten letters, “Charger in an outlet.” MADSHOPPER? I was thinking of someone charging through the aisles in a Black Friday frenzy.

19-A, fourteen letters, “‘Dear me!’” Really?

25-A, five letters, “A whole bunch?” See 19-A.

26-D, four letters, “Directional letters.” I was sure it had to be OTOH.

29-D, four letters, “#1 reacher in each of the past seven decades.” Strange but true.

32-A, twelve letters, “Very badly.” A clue that leads everywhere and nowhere.

36-A, seven letters, “Put out.” See 32-A.

39-A, seven letters, “Have the chops, say.” Groan.

40-A, twelve letters, “Science practiced by multiple Nobel laureates.” My first guess was ASTROPHYSICS. Why not?

51-D, five letters, “Alpine trail.” Probably useful for future crosswords, not to mention sojourns in the Alps.

54-A, fourteen letters, “Nicely named beef/mozzarella dish.” I have to believe it’s real.

55-D, four letters, “Consciousness raiser.” Oh brother.

My favorite in this puzzle: 60-A, ten letters, “Book subtitled 100 Ways to Work Out With Your Dog.” Aww.

No spoilers; the answers are in the comments.

comments: 1

Michael Leddy said...

ASAP. STAT. ASTHMA. ADHESIVE. STOREOWNER.

WHOOPSIDAISIES. NANAS. ATTN. CHER.

TOHIGHHEAVEN. NETTLED. TOHIGHHEAVEN.

EATMEAT. ECONOMETRICS. PISTE.

SLOPPYGIUSEPPE. PSST. SEESPOTRUN.