[Hi and Lois , August 12, 2026. Click for a larger view.]
I don’t go looking for trouble: it finds me .
I defy any close reader to make full sense of the background in this panel from today’s Hi and Lois . The looming black triangle is a standard Hi-Lo Amalgamated feature — I cannot object to its appearance here. The blue must be a wall; the green, the floor of a room devoid of furniture; the purple, another floor. The white must be a surprisingly large cased opening. The light-purple area must be a tile or faux-tile wall. The lined light-blue surface must be the side of a kitchen cabinet; the light-brown strip, a countertop edge. But the line that appears to mark the cabinet’s side from its front doesn’t align with the line that appears to mark the countertop’s side edge from its front edge. I’m reminded of the Escher-like hot-dog stand I noticed in my early days as a close reader of this comic strip.
A strip need not have the precise minimalism of Nancy or the intensity of detail of Zippy to be satisfying. But a comic kitchen ought to look better than this one.
Related reading
All OCA Hi and Lois posts (Pinboard)
Wednesday, August 12, 2026
Hi and Lois watch
By
Michael Leddy
at
8:24 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Could Lois be on a deck?
ReplyDeleteI can sort of see it, but that’s the same “tile” as in yesterday’s strip, so I think it has to be the kitchen:
ReplyDeletehttps://www.arcamax.com/thefunnies/hiandlois/s-4269546