Saturday, August 29, 2026

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Today’s Newsday  Saturday Stumper, by David P. Williams, had me baffled at many points. I’m just going to honest here. I’m not that informed on 1-A, eight letters, “South Carolina symbol.” I ended up switching from a printed puzzle to an online version and figuring out a handful of tough spots with autocorrect flagging my mistakes.

Some clue-and-answer pairs of note:

2-D, letters, “Old-fashioned, technically.” Nicely worded.

11-D, three letters, “Animal in a garnish etymology.” I see it there, but I can’t claim to understand why it’s there.

21-D, three letters, “Dishware arrived there in 2026.” I knew it had to be that there.

22-A, three letters, “JFK predecessor.” Kinda perverse. My first thought was DDE. My second was “What was the code for Idlewild?” I think this clue plays a bit unfairly with the meaning of predecessor.

32-D, three letters, “Thousands of Athenians.” I know what the answer means, but I have no idea what this answer means. Now I do.

33-A, six letters, “Hardly a family man.” Aw, come on.

40-A, three letters, “Yellow belly.” Isn’t it spelled with four letters — wuss?

48-A, four letters, “Arian intro.” Fun if you know about Arianism, but I doubt that was the intent here.

60-A, eight letters, “Lack of ice?” Clever.

My favorites in this puzzle are the two answers that cross at the center: 8-D, fifteen letters, “It’s unreal” and 34-A, thirteen letters, “False response from AI.”

No spoilers; the answers are in the comments.

2 comments:

  1. PALMETTO ANALOG. ASP.

    OED. (Yes, thought the first citation is from 1868.)

    LGA. (Merriam-Webster: “one that precedes,” “especially : a person who has previously occupied a position or office to which another has succeeded.” LaGuardia is earlier, but is it rightly considered a predecessor? Maybe.)

    MUS. SISTER. ELS. (YeLLow.) SECT. NEATNESS.

    OPTICALILLUSION. HALLUCINATION.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MUS: The population of Athens is well under a million, so my guess is that mu stands for “male.”

    ReplyDelete

I moderate comments to avoid spam. Please be patient. Thanks.