Saturday, August 1, 2026

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Today’s Newsday  Saturday Stumper is by Stan Newman, the puzzle’s editor, composing as Anna Stiga (Stan Again). It’s a tough one. There is sports trivia: 43-A, six letters, “First State school mascot, appropriately.” There is sports trivia that I do not understand: 25-D, seven letters, “Three NFL nicknames.” There are non-sports answers I do not understand: 15-A, nine letters, “Verbal matter of fact.” There is obscurity: 2-D, eight letters, “About 27,000 gallons on the farm.” There is at least one answer that doesn’t ring true (or ring at all): 40-D, eight letters, “Fashion rebel.” But there are still moments of 44-D, six letters, “Flash.”

Some clue-and-answer pairs of note:

21-A, three letters, “Quick lunch.” Short and snappy.

27-D, seven letters, “Having bills.” In debt? Or flush with cash?

37-A, fifteen letters, “Discussion agreement.” Given the effort it took me to solve this puzzle, I’m happy to accept this plain-ish spanner.

50-A, four letters, “Gobi Desert’s day.” Nice.

59-A, five letters, “Toon swimmer saying ‘If I become human....’” It helps to have grandchildren.

65-A, letters, “Didn’t write off too quickly.” I like the weirdness of the word that is the answer.

My favorite in this puzzle: 52-D, five letters, “Irish first name.” Because even after I got it, it took me a while to get it.

No spoilers; the answers are in the comments.

5 comments:

  1. YOUDEE. RAPTORS. ICAREALOT.

    ACREINCH. NEWWAVER. PIZAZZ.

    PBJ. VISORED. THATSAGOODPOINT.

    IDES. (GobI DESert.) ARIEL.

    AMORTIZED. NOTRE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tough!
    I never did understand "What Q was added to, circa 1970" ... the answer was PRS so I assume PQRS is something?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot about that one, another one that threw me. Pannonica at Crossword Fiend says it’s the telephone dial/keypad.

    I am happy to see that she too has no idea what ICAREALOT is about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah thanks! Shoulda thought of that. I have no idea about that other one either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just asked Google AI to explain the clue: “The phrase ‘I care a lot’ serves as a spoken (‘verbal’) declaration or emotional retort that means the exact opposite, or playfully reframes the phrase ‘matter of fact’ through sarcastic or literal speech where someone states how much they ‘care’ about a factual situation.”

    Huh?

    And it cites Crossword Fiend, where Pannonica says she has no idea what it’s about.

    ReplyDelete

I moderate comments to avoid spam. Please be patient. Thanks.