Monday, August 3, 2026

Three packs

I was preparing to drive to a southern state to buy three packs of cigarettes — they’re so much cheaper there. I was torn between Camels and Pall Malls: should I get three packs of the one, or the other? Or one pack of one and two of the other? And which of which? And yes, yes, I was going to quit, eventually, but I wanted to have some packs to keep around.

Now I’m puzzled that Lucky Strikes weren’t part of my purchasing dilemma.

The likely inspirations for this dream: watching A Private Life (dir. Rebecca Zlotowski, 2025), in which a psychoanalyst’s patient stops smoking after hypnosis but takes up the habit again, and looking at a photograph of J.D. Salinger and trying to figure out the identity of the pack on his desk. Nearly thirty-seven years after I stopped smoking (October 8, 1989), cigarettes still turn up in my dreams. But I’ve never smoked there.

This dream happened before I watched I Heard It Through the Grapevine.

Related reading
All OCA cigarette dreams (Pinboard)

[“Only fools and children talk about their dreams”: Dr. Edward Jeffreys (Robert Douglas), in Thunder on the Hill (dir. Douglas Sirk, 1951). ]

comments: 0

Post a Comment

I moderate comments to avoid spam. Please be patient. Thanks.