Wednesday, August 5, 2026

Poor moon, “Poor Moon”

From The New York Times (gift link):

A discarded upper stage of a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket slammed into the surface of the moon around 2:35 a.m. Eastern time on Wednesday at a speed of 5,400 miles per hour.
Cue Canned Heat’s “Poor Moon”:
Oh well, they might test some bomb
Oh well, and scar your skin
Oh well, I don’t think they care
So I wonder when they’re going to destroy your
    face
Related reading
All OCA Canned Heat posts (Pinboard)

[Some background about the song.]

3 comments:

  1. Probably way too obvious, but this story made me think of Gil Scott-Heron:
    https://youtu.be/goh2x_G0ct4?is=5AQHlKEtqCP6LHad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rats… didn’t mean to be anonymous. “Whitey on the Moon” is one of my favorites, and Musk seems like the Uber-whitey to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that’s excellent, and it’s new to me. I suspect Musk just might see himself in the same way.

    I left a comment about the Canned Heat song twice, and the second one finally got through. I think adding a comment on the article with a reference to this song would be appropriate. (I suspect that they wouldn’t accept anything with a URL, although that wasn’t my problem.)

    And speaking of problems, Blogger now starts out every comment as Anonymous, and once you start typing there’s no way to change your ID. I’ve deleted my own anonymous comments at least a dozen times now.

    ReplyDelete

I moderate comments to avoid spam. Please be patient. Thanks.