Thursday, August 27, 2026

Oceans 47

The current occupant, just now:

“So if you think about it, we have a gulf, and we have a lake. Now all we need is an ocean, so maybe we’ll have to change the name of the Atlantic and/or the Pacific. Maybe we’ll change ’em both.”
The only question in response: why do things like this to an ally? Because, he said, Canadians are “nasty people.”

I wish someone had pressed: but why oceans? Surely they matter to many other nations too. When you will be making these decisions? And how will you choose the names? They can’t both be the American Ocean. And why haven’t you renamed the Strait of Hormuz?

I think journalists would do well to ask straight-faced questions about these absurdities. In the words of Allen Ginsberg, “Don’t hide the madness.”

2 comments:

  1. The fool has learned that if he floods the zone with distractions no one will ask about last week's scandal (Canada) or the on-going scandal of keeping congress out of the Iran war. You would hope the press has learned by now, but such hopes are forlorn.

    Too bad Congress doesn't include a modern day Cato to end each speech with, "And furthermore, the Epstein files must be released."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually do see these distractions as just distractions, but I think it could be revealing if the press were to really push him on some of this lunacy. Will there be penalties for mapmakers who do not follow this directive? Will schools be required to replace current maps in classrooms? Will students receive partial credit if they answer a test question with “Lake Ontario”?

    ReplyDelete

I moderate comments to avoid spam. Please be patient. Thanks.