From NPR:
In California, tech billionaires are ramping up spending to defeat a wealth tax in the state.When I heard this story on the radio, I tried to do some calculating in my head. If one had, say, an even billion, a 5% tax would take only $50 million. Brin has already spent twice as much fighting this tax. His estimated wealth: $260.1 billion. A 5% tax (which he will avoid anyway) would leave him with about $247 billion.
Google co-founder Sergey Brin has spent more than $100 million to blanket the state in ads and commercials condemning the ballot measure. The measure, known as Proposition 40, would impose a one-time 5% tax on California residents worth more than $1 billion. If passed, the tax would fund healthcare programs in the state.
Brin has compared the tax to the Soviet-style socialism his family fled in the late-1970s, and has moved to the Nevada side of Lake Tahoe to avoid the tax.
Brin is also supporting two competing ballot measures in November that would effectively void the billionaires' tax.

comments: 0
Post a Comment
I moderate comments to avoid spam. Please be patient. Thanks.