Friday, November 17, 2023

DO NOT DISTURB

From an e-mail interview with Steven Millhauser (Los Angeles Review of Books ):

Oddly enough, reading has rarely created in me a desire to see more of the world. Reading a work of deeply imagined fiction seems to replace the outer world so completely that I ask nothing except not to be disturbed.
Related reading
All OCA Steven Millhauser posts (Pinboard)

comments: 2

Geo-B said...

Funny thing, I have completely the opposite reaction. I just returned from a week in Paris, and before going, while reading, completely by coincidence, Somerset Maugham's The Razor's Edge, and Vila-Matas' Never Any End to Paris, in which the city looms large, only made me more anxious to get there. Even a piece of complete other-worldly fantasy like Susanna Clarke's Piranesi, makes me want to go to a locale totally different from my own. (I shall have a baguette sandwich for lunch, and dream of distant climes)

Michael Leddy said...

I’ve been enjoying the drawings but didn’t realize that you’d gone again.

Reading about mid-century NYC always makes me want to travel, in space and time both.