Thursday, November 2, 2023

Beatles now!

“Now and Then” is playing on BBC Radio 2.

And it’s now at YouTube.

I’m disappointed: they dropped the middle section of the song (“I don’t wanna lose you”), its most distinctive part, with unusual chord changes, and the part that, to my ears, makes the shift to the closing section (“Now and then”) so poignant.

[The chords in the middle section, which I worked out at the piano: F♯min Emaj7 F♯min Emaj7 G♯min D E C B. And then comes the shift to G: "Now and then.“]

comments: 7

Anonymous said...

oh, i think i'm in love with this song!!! it is so beatles! i hear john, paul, george and ringo all throughout this song.

i hear the early beatles and the after india beatles.

actually it's bringing tears to my eyes just because.

kirsten

Anonymous said...

ps this video is wonderful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZN-__Dn638

kirsten

Michael Leddy said...

I’ve known the demo for a while, but hearing John’s voice, loud and clear, in the new version, was hugely emotional for me.

Kirsten, that video is someone’s assemblage of bits from the short documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc4K7bAqpdBP8jh1j9XZAww

There’s a video from the Beatles coming tomorrow, with the earliest film footage of the group, courtesy of Pete Best. I think there’s a lot of closing of circles going on here. (Paul is now eighty-one; Ringo, eighty-three.)

Fresca said...

I had to turn it off--I was starting to cry, and I need to clean the house because a friend is coming for tea in an hour and my floor is covered with cornstarch because DOLLS--and I can't add saltwater! It would make playdough!
(You'll see my post this afternoon, I warrant, and see the cornstarch.)

I will come back to this song though--thanks for posting.

Michael Leddy said...

Kirsten: oops, I forgot to put on your comment with the link earlier.

Fresca: now I understand that photo. We are all lucky to be around for the last Beatles song, but it’s like climbing to some high place and then looking down. What a distance!

Fresca said...

P.S. I say cornstarch, the girlettes say STAR dust.

Michael Leddy said...

Aww. Ways of seeing!