Friday, November 10, 2023

Scotch, bourbon, and radio English

A contentious moment from A Letter to Three Wives (1949), written and directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz. Rita (Ann Sothern) and George (Kirk Douglas) are making ready for a party. She: a writer of radio serials. He: a schoolteacher. She has a question for him:

“Where’s the Scotch?”

“I didn’t buy any.”

“Why not?”

“Too expensive. Bourbon’s a better drink anyway.”

“But the Manleighs are a cinch to want Scotch. People in show business, you know what I mean, those kind always drink Scotch.”

“Well, I know what you mean, but I wish you wouldn’t say it in radio English. ‘That kind,’ not ‘those kind.’”

“There are men who say ‘those kind’ who earn $100,000 a year.”

“There are men who say, ‘Stick ’em up,’ who earn more. I don’t expect to do either.”

“Nor are you expected to pay for the Scotch.”
Oof.

comments: 0