Saturday, November 4, 2023

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Today’s Newsday  Saturday Stumper is by Steve Mossberg, and it is exceedingly difficult. Forty-nine minutes for me, and I missed by one letter, an impossible cross, or what’s known as a Natick, as explained by Rex Parker, who coined the term:

Natick Principle — “If you include a proper noun in your grid that you cannot reasonably expect more than 1/4 of the solving public to have heard of, you must cross that noun with reasonably common words and phrases or very common names.”
I hereby give you 5-D, six letters, “Steamed bun from China,” and 14-A, nine letters, “‘Brain’s Scriptwriter’ per Johns Hopkins.” Those answers may not be proper names, but I think they’re obscure enough to count as a Natick. Though they might signify gaps in my knowledge. Either way, really unfun.

Some more clue-and-answer pairs of note:

6-A, four letters, “Many a golf course.” Misdirection abounds in this puzzle. I like the economy of this example.

6-D, eleven letters, “Japanese restaurant decor.” So obvious once you see it. But does one really see this decor at a Japanese restaurant? I’m not sure I have. Do ramen shops count?

9-D, eight letters, “Swiss Guard weapons.” The Vatican theme continues at 57-A.

11-D, ten letters, “OK to put away.” A clue from the eastern edge that made me think this puzzle was going to be easy.

15-D, five letters, “Make for after-dinner.” Really, really strained.

17-A, ten letters, “Fall plant.” See 6-A.

25-A, thirteen letters, “Professional poker.” Getting the last four letters helped a lot.

39-A, four letters, “How some stovewave is made.” A bit ridic.

40-A, thirteen letters, “Call for caution.” I like the colloquial quality.

41-D, six letters, “Biggest little piggy.” I somehow knew it.

48-A, four letters, “Got rubbed down.” A really strained pairing of clue and answer.

56-A, four letters, “Helen Keller cofounded it.” A fact I happen to know.

57-A, ten letters, “Serving in the Vatican.” I’m surprised that this clue made it in, because the answer is so ridiculously arbitrary. Boo. Hiss.

My favorite in this puzzle: 35-D, eight letters, “Manual art.” Recent experience helped.

No spoilers; the answers are in the comments.

comments: 2

Michael Leddy said...

BROCASARIA. MANTOU. (I had an E for the A.) PATH. PAPERCRANES.

HALBERDS. COMESTIBLE. SARAN. BANANAPEEL. ACUPUNCTURIST.

CLAD. WHOAEASYTHERE. HALLUX. WORE. ACLU.

MINESTRONE.(One could name any Italian dish here, no? Meatball parm, anyone?)

DIAGRAMS. (I contended with diagrams when assembling a standing desk.)

Michael Leddy said...

I couldn't even get it right after the fact: it's BROCASAREA, Broca’s area.