Saturday, November 11, 2023

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Today’s Newsday  Saturday Stumper, by Matthew Sewell, is exceedingly difficult. But I got it, after at least an hour’s worth of staring. I started with 30-A, three letters, “Joey of fiction” and 31-D, four letters, “Publisher of Firestarter excerpts (1980)” and began to fill in the puzzle’s eastern edge. Toughest section: the southwest, where I was long in a 52-A, fifteen letters, “Precarious position.”

Some clue-and-answer pairs of note:

3-A, eight letters, “In high gear.” Groan.

5-D, ten letters, “Possible peppers partner.” But the answer need not begin with P.

8-D, four letters, “Resa alternative.” I thought this clue might be about wines I’ve never heard of. No.

14-D, five letters, “Slide stuff.” Very out of the way.

17-D, five letters, “Pit of the stomach.” Clever clueing.

19-A, seven letters, “Mideast word for ‘lighthouse.’” I guessed right and learned something.

21-D, seven letters, “With added zest.” An adverb won’t help.

23-A, thirteen letters, “Where Pulitzer’s Big Apple office was.” My first (wild) guess: MADISONSQUARE.

25-D, ten letters, “Pet kept for pest control.” I wanted BODEGACAT.

38-D, three letters, “Desserted?” Kinda awkward.

39-A, thirteen letters, “Tonic cocktails.” Eww.

47-D, four letters, “Big shock.” Talk about misdirection.

58-A, four letters, “Moviedom’s ‘Eighth Wonder.’” This answer helped a lot on the way to filling in the southwest.

My favorite clue in today’s puzzle: 1-A, four letters, “Receptionist’s pronoun.”

No spoilers; the answers are in the comments.

comments: 5

Michael Leddy said...

ROO. OMNI. BRINKOFDISASTER. ONSTILTS.

HOTSAUSAGE. TERI. STAIN. INNIE. MINARET. CITRUSY.

WORLDBUILDING. (Here it is, or was.) RATTERRIER.

ATELAST. ESPRESSOTINIS. AFRO. KONG. WHOM.

joecab said...

Very tough puzzle indeed. I'm surprised they didn't go with a more traditional clue for "world building" ... maybe tie it into a movie franchise.

Michael Leddy said...

I’ve never heard that term (though over years of telling stories to my children, I definitely did some world building). Now I can see that the clue about Pulitzer looks pretty far afield.

Elaine said...

I finished but was flummoxed by 53D and 55A--guessed a letter, and it was "correct" but left me no wiser.
Stumped on 11/04...Guess I should just give up....

Michael Leddy said...

I was baffled by DAN (martial arts) but I knew ORAN — from Camus, The Plague, way back in high school.

Keep pitching! I missed last week’s. This week’s too was really tough.