Saturday, June 4, 2022

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Today’s Newsday  Saturday Stumper is by Steve Mossberg. It sparked, for me, no joy, and I did not finish. I got about a third of the puzzle done before I 51-A, eight letters, “Couldn’t go on,” and I ended up revealing letters one by one on the way to an unhappy ending. A few nits to pick:

10-D, four letters, “Sci-fi word Merriam-Webster is watching (but ‘No robes required’)”: as of January 2021, the word was added to the dictionary.

28-A, twelve letters, “Snarky greeting comeback”: I’m not sure it’s meant to be snarky. Maybe in the movies?

The clue that really made me balk: 25-D, ten letters, “Green beverage brand.” Well, no.

No spoilers; the answers are in the comments.

comments: 4

Michael Leddy said...

HITAWALL. JEDI. But that was added in January 2021.

GOODTOBESEEN. Here’s a different perspective on BOXEDWATER.

joecab said...

I'm with you and had to reveal wrong letters a few times to finish. With 8A I went through REJECT and OBJECT before hitting the correct answer, 11D "Give a seat to" was ENDOW before ELECT, ARK for "Not a navy vessel" before WOK (I don't get the clue)... anyway I wasn't crazy about this one. And I agree with you on GOODTOBESEEN. Funnily enough JEDI was my first entry.

Michael Leddy said...

I had ARK too, but my first thought was HIM (since a ship is a she). I suppose a WOK is a cooking vessel?

joecab said...

Ahh yes that makes sense, thank you.