Thursday, June 16, 2022

How to enjoy Ulysses

From Random House, 1934, an advertisement: “How to enjoy James Joyce’s great novel Ulysses (Harry Ransom Center, UT Austin).

Related reading
All OCA Joyce posts (Pinboard)

[The Ransom Center files this advertisement under “Indecent Behavior — Sexuality, Gender, and Transgression.”]

comments: 7

Anonymous said...

Thank you for that wonderful ad. Interesting how the Ransom Center files the ad. And to explain the story so succinctly.

I have never read any James Joyce but do have Ulysses and the Dubliners. I have visited the Shakespeare and Company in Paris that originally published Ulysses.

Side story: while at Shakespeare and Company, one of the clerks told a group about a story from WWII. The Nazis visited the bookstore and told them that they would be shut down in a hour. When they came back, all of the books were gone. A young American female in the group wanted to know why they took all of the books.

Kirsten

ps Laurie Anderson pulled her donation of Lou Reed's materials to the Ransom Center because of guns on campus. NYPL got it. https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/laurie-anderson-called-off-plan-215628661.html

Michael Leddy said...

I’d like to think that story is true, or at least close to the truth.

I saw that story about Laurie Anderson and Lou Reed. I think many individuals, groups with annual meetings, and so on, are going to be making similar decisions about where they and/or their stuff will go.

Michael Leddy said...

I’d like to think that WWII story is true, or at least close to the truth. About the young American: is the question just dumb, or am I missing something?

I saw that story about Laurie Anderson and Lou Reed. I think many individuals, groups with annual meetings, and so on, are going to be making similar decisions about where they and/or their stuff will go.

Thanks for sharing the stories, Kirsten.

Anonymous said...

The question is just dumb! I was embarrassed and didn't mention that I was American! This was in the mid 90's. Many times in Europe I pretended I didn't speak English!!!

I think the story is true -- according to Wikipedia the store was forced to close in 1941 after the fall of Paris. "Beach kept her books hidden in a vacant apartment upstairs at 12 rue de l'Odeon. Ernest Hemingway symbolically "liberated" the shop in person in 1944, but it never re-opened for business." The original one that Sylvia Beach remained closed and in 1951 another one was opened in Paris by George Whitman at a different location. Looking at the photos it has greatly been modernized since i visited. I remember a small inside with rickety shelves and books everywhere.

I did buy a book there which I need to find as the stamp on the inside (Kilometer zero) is so different.

Kirsten

Michael Leddy said...

Two legendary bookstores!

I’ll have to share all of this with friends who visited the second store.

Stephen said...

I happened to be at the Ransom Center this week. On display was a strange amalgam of treasures and collection highlights. Frida Kahlo's "Self-Portrait with Thorn Necklace and Hummingbird." (To me, outstanding.) A Gutenberg bible. And a very large Ulysses display.

Michael Leddy said...

Nice!