Tuesday, June 21, 2022

“But he targeted me”

Ruby Freeman, in taped testimony for the January 6 committee. Freeman and her daughter Shaye Moss, who testified today, were election workers in Georgia and the target of attacks by Donald Trump and Rudy Giuliani:

“There is nowhere I feel safe, nowhere. Do you know how it feels to have the president of the United States target you? The president of the United States is supposed to represent every American, not to target one. But he targeted me, Lady Ruby, a small-business owner, a mother, a proud American citizen, who’d stand up to help Fulton County run an election in the middle of the pandemic.”
As Freeman also said in taped testimony, “I can’t believe this person has caused this much damage to me and my family.”

Freeman’s testimony and her daughter’s testimony, like Rusty Bowers’s testimony, was beyond compelling. The damage Trump and his allies do to our democracy and to individual emotional well-being is ongoing and incalculable.

comments: 2

Daughter Number Three said...

It was excruciating. I heard most of it on the radio yesterday (you should have heard the words I called the former guy!), and then saw some last night on MSNBC. I called Daughter Number Three-Point-One this morning to tell her about it after reading the newspaper coverage of it. This is our country now. Republicans have brought us to this.

Michael Leddy said...

Hmm — I seem to curse only when watching these people on TV. In the car I’m too busy commenting on other drivers.

Did you realize that Ruby Freeman is the election worker “visited” by Trevian Kutti, former publicist for R. Kelly and Kanye West? That didn’t click yesterday. The plotting sprawls all over the place.