Thursday, June 9, 2022

Making it plain

“Donald Trump was at the center of this conspiracy”: Representative Bennie Thompson (D, MS-2), a few minutes ago.

*

“There will come a day when Donald Trump is gone, but your dishonor will remain”: Representative Liz Cheney (R, WY), a few minutes ago, addressing fellow Republicans who continue to, in her words, “defend the indefensible.”

comments: 2

ksh said...

In Wyoming, voters can change party affiliation at the poll on primary day and then change back again on the way out. This is how we elected our current governor.

So, once again, I shall swallow my pride, change my affiliation, and vote for Liz (a Cheney!). I'm hoping that she is trying to makeup for the sins of her father. One of the opposition party candidates (the one I support) is asking her supporters to give their votes for her to Liz.

I'm reminded of Bruce Phillips' observation that "When you vote for the lesser of two evils, you're still voting for evil."
It's difficult, but it's the best we can do.

Michael Leddy said...

In the same spirit, I’m going to get a Republican primary ballot and vote for Rodney Davis — in other words, against Mary Miller. There are no Democratic races in which a primary vote is urgent. I made the same move several primary elections ago when the Democratic candidate for governor was unchallenged. I voted against the most dangerous Republican candidate, the only way to have any say in the outcome of the race. The precinct captain looked down on me (and Elaine) for crossing over. I thought it was the smart thing to do. If I were in Wyoming, I too would vote for Liz Cheney.

It’s true about evil. But on the other hand, there’s what David Foster Wallace wrote: “In reality, there is no such thing as not voting; you either vote by voting, or you vote by staying home and tacitly doubling the value of some Diehard’s vote.” That might be a way of compounding evil.