Saturday, June 11, 2022

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Today’s Newsday  Saturday Stumper is a rerun (with updates) from 2012 while Stan Newman, the puzzle’s editor, is on vacation. The puzzle is by Anna Stiga (“Stan Again”) the pseudonym that signals an easier Stumper, but I found this one tough. Just two clues feel dated: 42-A, three letters, “GM news of 2010” and 60-A, five letters, “Dockers’ cousins.” The clue that broke open the puzzle for me: 45-A, seven letters, “Prime time for oysters.”

Some other clue-and-answer pairs of note:

6-A, nine letters, “Conclusive procedures.” SYLLOGISMS won’t fit.

6-D, seven letters, “Carrying mail.” Nicely misleading.

8-D, seven letters, “Of volcanic origin.” My daughter learned the three kinds of rocks in grade school. This one I remember. Some rocks!

13-D, six letters, “Greek bread spread.” But I think the Middle East might have something to say about it.

18-A, nine letters, “Longfellow lover.” Now there’s an out-of-the-way name.

34-A, six letters, “Pulitzer winner for The Good War.” It’s good to find his name in a puzzle.

46-D, six letters, “Refusal of assistance.” I like the terseness.

58-A, five letters, “‘Bow down, archangels, in your dim _____’: Yeats.” Good to see his name too.

My favorite from this puzzle: 19-A, nine letters, “It may be underfoot.”

No spoilers; the answers are in the comments.

comments: 3

Michael Leddy said...

IPO. LEVIS. RMONTHS. ACIDTESTS. ARMORED.

IGNEOUS. TAHINI. MINNEHAHA. TERKEL.

NONEED. ABODE. INNERSOLE.

shallnot said...

A little-known fact is that all cats have a middle-name of “Underfoot”.

If I ever get a pet cat I’m going to call it: Fuzz-face Underfoot Quat. Just so that I can say “come, Quat”...

Steven

Michael Leddy said...

Ha!