Thursday, June 30, 2022

Squirrels on metal roofs

I saw a squirrel yesterday in a moment of bravery and grace. It was the squirrel that was brave and graceful, making a leap of six or more feet from a branch to a shingled roof. If there had been a panel of squirrel judges present, they’d have raised their little placards:

10, 10, 10, 10, 10.

But I digress.

This scene made me wonder: how do squirrels contend with metal roofs? I’ve read that they can chew metal (keeping their teeth trimmed) and sneak underneath metal roofs to wreak havoc. But what would happen to a squirrel that made a leap to a metal roof? Would it slide down and be left hanging for dear life, like Scottie Ferguson in Vertigo ? Can a squirrel’s claws grip a metal roof? Do most squirrels know not to mess with a metal roof?

[Asking for a small grey friend.]

comments: 7

Fresca said...

I googled it and found this funny bit about watching a squirrel leap onto a metal roof--but I think it was the fact that the roof was icy that was the real problem, so this doesn't answer your question.
But it's a fun read. Excerpt:

"The squirrel decided just to get away. It flew up to the top branch, leapt onto the frozen metal roof, and with the momentum of that jump, slid straight up to the peak.

Its eyes were wild with panic and its tail tacked in every direction as it tried to regain control. It caught its claw on the ridge cap and did an airborne triple somersault up to the north side of the roof. It didn’t land on the roof, but with one claw, grabbed hold of the metal ridge and started sliding down at an alarming rate of speed, its body flying through the air alongside the ridge, flailing and grabbing for anything that would keep it from falling...."

--"Squirrel on a Cold Tin Roof"
https://coloradocentralmagazine.com/squirrel-on-a-cold-tin-roof

Michael Leddy said...

Thanks, Fresca. I did some searches, checked Reddit, looked for videos on YouTube — I had no luck. One thing I did learn while searching: metal roofs actually reflect heat rather than absorb it. It seems to have something to do with the paint.

By the way, I fought hard against the impulse to title this post with a tin roof. I’m relieved to see that someone would have been beating me to it.

Anonymous said...

I love watching squirrels. The house across the street from me has a very steep shingled roof and often see them running to the very top to jump to the house next to it-- about 8 feet away. Most times they don't jump but run down jump on the bush and then jump to the house.

Have you ever seen a squirrel laying on a branch with it's limbs hanging on the sides to cool off?

Squirrels near me use the crosswalk to cross the street. I used to see ones in VA run across the power lines to cross the street thus avoiding traffic.

If you subscribe or have access to the Washington Post, check out John Kelly's column. Every year he will write about squirrels for a week with all sorts of fun stuff.

kirsten

Michael Leddy said...

You may already know: there are great videos at YouTube of squirrels navigating human-made obstacle courses. And there’s been considerable study of the way they take all variables into account when making a jump (distance, strength of branch). They’re amazing creatures.

Elaine said...

We put an aluminum shake roof on our home in Conway. It put an end to the racing across the roof (scrabbling thumping, etc.) which was pretty constant given the 5 liveoaks around the house. Just once we saw a panicky squirrel make the leap onto the roof, which proved to be a big mistake.....scratching, futile clawing, inevitable sliding, splat! Cracked up all thewitnesses.

Slywy said...

That prone posture to cool off is called "splooting." There's a reason I follow the Forest Preserve District of Will County on instagram.

Michael Leddy said...

Kirsten, I forgot to say thanks for the Washington Post tip. Here’s a link that collects some of John Kelly’s squirrel writing.

Elaine, I think you’ve answered the question of whether squirrels can negotiate metal roofs.

Diane, thank you for “splooting.” I’ve yet to notice a squirrel doing it. When I do, I’ll know the word.