Sunday, November 7, 2021

A 13th Avenue candy store

[4319 13th Avenue, Brooklyn, New York, c. 1939–1941. From the NYC Municipal Archives Collections. Click for a much larger view.]

Another tax photo. In my 1960s kidhood, this candy store (in the same hands? different hands?) was known to me as a purveyor of charlotte russe. You could buy it through the window. Today the window is gone, and 4319 is a children’s clothing store.

Related posts
Another Brooklyn candy store : Nancy and charlotte russe : Nancy and charlotte russe again

comments: 2

Anonymous said...

Charlotte Russe is one dessert I have never had! I doubt one can find it on my menus these days.

Not sure if I have written about this on Orange Crate comments but across the street from my junior high was a small grocery store. We had enough time between school ending and the bus leaving to run in and peruse the candy which was located right by the cash register (smart store owners!!). My favorite was Pixie Stix. I'm sure the bus drivers loved driving home hyped up on sugar kids!!

The store is gone and is now a parking lot for the teachers.

I think I would have loved the NYC of old.

Kirsten

Michael Leddy said...

Brooklyn was a wonderful place to grow up. The bakery on Staten Island in that first Nancy post is still making charlotte russe, and it’s reportedly the only place in the five boroughs to have it. But the drive!

Kirsten, your bus story reminds me of a birthday party we had when our kids were very young (no names!). We served pizza and Coke and cake and probably ice cream, not really thinking about the consequences. The kids ended up bonkers with sugar and caffeine.