Wednesday, November 10, 2021

A sardine calendar

Here’s a startling headline: “Man builds handmade sardine advent calendar for Christmas” (The Irish News):

A festive creator has enjoyed the reaction “from all over” after he shared his handmade 2021 sardine advent calendar on social media.

Charles Vestal, from Berlin, Germany, told the PA news agency that what started as a “passion project/joke” has prompted interest from hundreds of strangers online.

“I present to you the 2021 sardine advent calendar, filled with 24 Portuguese tinned fish delights to enjoy all December long,” he tweeted — the post has since accrued more than 3,000 likes.

“I’ve always kind of liked advent calendars,” the 38-year-old said.
Here’s the Twitter thread detailing the calendar’s creation.

Related reading
All OCA sardine posts (Pinboard)

[I don’t know why advent is uncapitalized in this article.]

comments: 2

Frex said...

“I was looking, like, why hasn’t anyone made a sardine advent calendar? I’m not obsessed with sardines or anything, but I just thought, you can get jam advent calendars.
Right? Why not (sardines)?”

Right? Have you always wondered this too, Michael?
LOL
You should have one (a sardine Advent calendar---thought that's a lot of sardines...)

Frex = Fresca

Michael Leddy said...

LOL indeed. I have to admit that I had no idea what an Advent calendar was until I moved to the midwest. The (now-gone) little bookstore in town always advertised Advent calendars around this time of year..