Sunday, August 2, 2026

Strawberries, again

A reminder: just as the current occupant insists that vandals destroyed the surface of the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool with sharp knives, Captain Queeg insisted that the strawberries were stolen with a duplicate key to the icebox.

But as I wrote in a 2020 post, Queeg had the self-awareness to stop himself mid-rant.

6 comments:

  1. One of the few cases in which the movie was as good as the book. But how can you go wrong with Bogey, Van Johnson, and Jose Ferrer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote to a Trump fan here in Canada, without directly challenging his cult belief, saying: The government is so disorganized that they can spend millions on a reflecting pool but forget to pay for a cheap security guard to prevent vandals making a 350 foot gash. (115 meters)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And yet they claimed that there are photos of the vandals in action.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven’t read the novel, but I love the movie. It’s also another chance to see Fred MacMurray in an unsavory role.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only other unsavory role I can remember is from The Apartment. Glad to know he wasn't always typecast as a Steven Douglas-type from My Three Sons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And there’s Double Indemnity, where he might be described as an unsavory sucker. A good guy role without the dumbness of My Three Sons: Remember the Night, with Barbara Stanwyck.

    ReplyDelete

I moderate comments to avoid spam. Please be patient. Thanks.