Monday, August 17, 2026

Robert Caro, interviewed on C-SPAN

It’s a great ninety minutes: Peter Slen interviews Robert Caro about his Robert Moses and Lyndon Johnson biographies.

When will the final volume of the Johnson biography be out? “Bad question.”

A fun moment: the bookcases.

A chilling revelation, in some discussion of Johnson’s and Robert Kennedy’s hatred of each another: when Robert Kennedy was shot, Johnson was up all night, asking his aides, “Is he dead yet?”

Related reading
All OCA Robert Caro posts (Pinboard)

2 comments:

  1. That he's still writing at 90 is amazing. I first stumbled on Caro in 2000s, while channel surfing. He was being interviewed by Charlie Rose (who, despite his flaws was a great interviewer.). I loved Caro's NY accent. Made him sound like a regular guy who just happened to be a great storyteller who knew more about LBJ than anyone else alive. Fantastic interview. I just wish his books were as approachable. I own The Power Broker and Master of the Senate, but I get tired just looking at their width. Some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really, really, really (did I say really?) resisted the idea of reading The Power Broker. Elaine had started it and said I should read it. Did I really want to invest that much time reading about Robert Moses? I bought a copy on impulse (on vacation), and then we read it together. I am so glad I took the plunge — I count it as one of the great reading experiences of my life. The LBJ is my someday.

    ReplyDelete

I moderate comments to avoid spam. Please be patient. Thanks.