Monday, August 17, 2026

A shoe shine boy

[Outside 5117 4th Avenue, Sunset Park, Brooklyn, c. 1939–1941. From the NYC Municipal Archives Collections. Click for a much larger view.]

He appears in yesterday’s post. I didn’t want him to be overlooked.

An outtake shows a shoe-repair shop at no. 5117, offering “Ladies and Gents Shoe Shine Inside.” An earlier photograph, I’d assume, before a radio-repair shop took over the premises. Sitting across from what was once shoes , perhaps this kid was looking to capitalize on people’s remembrance of shines past. Or perhaps he was just counting on foot traffic from the subway entrance and exit.

I can’t write this post without pointing to Duke Ellington’s beautiful rendition of Saul Chaplin and Sammy Cahn’s “Shoe Shine Boy”. With Lawrence Brown (trombone), Barney Bigard (clarinet), and a vocal by Ivie Anderson. Is it really ninety years old? It is.

Related posts
More photographs from the NYC Municipal Archives (Pinboard)

2 comments:

  1. Also noticed "Dugout" shoe shine parlor, across the street

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm — I see this one, but I’m not seeing the one you mean.

    ReplyDelete

I moderate comments to avoid spam. Please be patient. Thanks.