Saturday, July 30, 2022

Today’s Saturday Stumper

The last Newsday  Saturday Stumper I was unable to finish (June 4) was by Steve Mossberg. Today’s killer Stumper is by Steve Mossberg. Uh-oh.

It took me an hour, and I flailed for a “Long stretch” (49-A, four letters) in the northeast corner. I’d estimate that my solving time was lengthened by the challenge of concentrating amid the ever-shifting colors and shapes of the ads that fill the GameLabs window. Ugh. Newsday, please, bring back free access to the Stumper or charge a reasonable price for a crossword-only subscription.

Some clue-and-answer pairs of note:

1-A, eight letters, “H’s horizontal.” Well, that was easy.

11-D, nine letters, “‘American Oxonian,’ e.g.” I struggled to see this one. The sixth letter of the answer was partly responsible. The quotation marks didn’t help.

12-D, nine letters, “Newspaper puzzle challenge.” I’ll have to take your word for it.

13-A, nine letters, “Inculpatory adage ender.” That was not easy.

16-A, nine letters, “Concert-to-go.” LIVESTREA — no.

24-D, six letters, “Terms of service.” Nicely deceptive.

26-A, twelve letters, “Pre-grilling advice.” Hah.

30-D, eight letters, “Breakfast buffet offering.” Mean!

31-D, nine letters, “Flavor enhancers.” I don’t recall seeing the answer in a puzzle before.

38-A, six letters, “Not keeping well.” I’ve seen this clue before, and it’s still a little forced for my taste.

48-D, five letters, “1953 debut as Froffles.” Easy once you see it. I was thinking maybe an animal friend from the movies or TV.

60-A, nine letters, “Do business.” I was reaching for a verb.

62-A, nine letters, “Go Bananas and Mango Madness.” I’m supposed to know this?

My favorite in this puzzle: 32-D, nine letters, “Electronic stop.”

No spoilers; the answers are in the comments.

comments: 7

Michael Leddy said...

AEON. CROSSBAR. ALMUNIMAG. MATEINONE. SHAMEONME.

LIVEALBUM. STINTS. ADMITNOTHING. NOLIMITS. AROMATICS.

LOSING. EGGOS. HAIRSALON. SNAPPLES. BASSPEDAL.

joecab said...

SW corner was the last for me. My answer for "Pick up off the street" was CAB for the longest time which was just wrong enough to get me stuck. I didn't like the Down answer off its first letter.

Michael Leddy said...

I thought of CAB too. In a moment of desperation I tried TOASTTIP for the buffet offering.

Elaine said...

I print the puzzle....takes a while but reduces aggravation.

Michael Leddy said...

Maybe I should try that. I’d still want to type the answers in afterwards to make sure I’ve got things right.

Elaine said...

That had you so buffaloed that you mixed up Across and Down and sad NE instead of SE
I couldn't finish, either, bu I see that my wheelhouse has few items in common with yours....

Michael Leddy said...

Yikes! It was the NE that gave me the most trouble. I’ll leave my mistakes in as signs of my confusion.