Friday, July 8, 2022

Kenward Elmslie (1929–2022)

Kenward Elmslie, “Routine Disruption,” in Tropicalism (Calais, VT: Z Press, 1975).

The New York Times has an obituary. And here are nine short films about Elmslie and friends and collaborators.

[This poem seems to me a variation on Lewis Carroll.]

comments: 5

Fresca said...

Oh, I love that poem--thanks.
I just sent it to Marz who leaves on Monday for seafarers school.
"exciting freshness and strangeness".

And for me: "head home".

Fresca said...

P.S. Oh, yes, I see what you mean about Lewis Carroll.

In that vein, Neil Gaiman's "Instructions": what to do if you you find yourself inside a fairy tale.
https://endicottstudio.typepad.com/poetrylist/instructions-by-neil-gaiman.html

Michael Leddy said...

I like those instructions, and I’m glad you like the poem. I hope Marz likes it too.

Fresca said...

Marz said she loved the poem and wrote it on the back of a pack of batteries she’s taking to sea school.

Michael Leddy said...

Wow — I’m glad I chose this one. (I didn’t even realize when I chose it that Routine Disruptions, plural, is the title of a later Elmslie selected poems.) I hope this poem stands Marz in good stead.